Leverage ONE Record API for the logistics supply chain 11-13 September
Note: This event will completely take place online! However we will strive to make it as interactive as possible by using the dedicated Microsoft Teams webmeeting!
Welcome to the IATA Cargo Hackathon, a round-the-clock experience which comprises:
- One week ideation phase to prepare your project - starting Monday 7th September
- A 28 hour coding experience to work on your projects and pitch ideas to a team of industry experts and mentors
During the Hackathon you will be asked to build solutions to enhance airline cargo products using the ONE Record Data Sharing standard. We will ask you to address at least one of the related challenges by using at least one of the APIs available at the event. In parallel, you will be able to attend some of the workshops that will take place on-site and gain access to mentors that will support you through the Hackathon experience.
NB - IATA does NOT retain developers' Intellectual Property (IP) on any of their ideas/prototypes presented at this Hackathon. Detailed information under Terms and Conditions.
More information can be found on the dedicated Developer Portal for ONE Record.
- Monday 7th September - Ideation phase kicks-off. Start planning your solution and look at connecting with available APIs
- Friday 11th September 15:00UTC/17:00CEST the welcome reception starts. Introduction of mentors, sponsors prizes and details of the challenges. Following on, each team should present their high level ideas for validation
- Saturday 12th September 08:00UTC/10:00CEST welcome back and start of workshops on Cargo Basics and APIs (follow Microsoft Teams link)
- Sunday 13th September 13:00UTC/15:00CEST Coding finishes and submissions must be completed for judges to see.
- At around 1600 CEST (this gives enough time for a quick drink/eat/smoke/powernap break) all team to dial into Teams meeting (just like the opening session) whereby IATA will host a few updates and ask each team (INFORMALLY) to present their ideas to the other teams. Note the judges wont be in this video as they are scoring the submissions through Devpost.
- At around 1800 CEST judging will be completed and the judges will then join the call and announce the winners
- Around 1900 CEST the event closes
$6,000 in prizes
ONE Record Prize
The ONE Record prize is awarded to the solution that made the best use of the ONE Record API in terms of innovation and creativity
The Developer prize is awarded to the solution that made the best use of technology, showed exceptional coding skills and (mostly) bug-free
ONE Record Innovation Engine Prize (3)
The ONE Record Innovation Engine Prize comprises a series of interaction with IATA for coaching/mentoring on their hackathon project in order to further enhance and develop the product. Terms and Conditions apply
For teams that participate in addressing challenge number 3 with the most innovative solution:
Air cargo currently uses traditional payment processes supported by industry invoicing and settlement processes and systems. What if we reinvented this? What if we could use the power of APIs and the vast options for payments, financial transactions and other new financial technologies? What if we broke the traditional quote, book, invoice and pay end-to-end cycle and considered intermediate service milestones? How about disruption and claims?
Design a payment focused solution that considers the ideas above. Use available APIs of your choice or simulate some of the processes and use ONE Record standard as an innovation platform. Consider the stakeholders in the process and their need for a user centric roles in the process”
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
- Participation is free of charge.
- Participation is open to anyone: developers, designers, business and marketing professionals, students and others
- Age - 18 years and older
- Participants can register as and parcitipate as individuals or team during the duration of the hackathon.
- Teams sizes may vary from 1 person to 6 people per TEAM! however there are no limits to the number of teams
Applicable Country locations
Worldwide (refer to Rules above)
Each team should choose and address at least ONE (1) challenge
- Track & Trace
- Quote & Book
- PayCargo Challenge
- Open challenge
More information can be found on the dedicated Developer portal for ONE Record
Note that full challenge and API connection details will be provided at the start of the Ideation phase on Monday 7th September
Although we request that all submissions are sent electronically through Teams(as back-ups), we will ask all participants to show live using the Microsoft Teams link at the dedicated judging time (starting at 15:00 CEST) on Sunday 13th September. More information on the order and teams will be shared closer to the time.
- Register on Devpost
- Submit your idea / project proposal on Teams. (140 words description maximum)
- Describe the problem you are addressing and the solution you intend to build during the hackathon
- Register on Microsoft Teams/Devpost to find your teammates (if required)
- Describe team members' skills, plus skills needed by team members who may join your team
- Create your Microsoft Teams group channel
- Promote your idea on Social Media: #ONERecord2020 #DigitalCargo
The idea should be a project that you haven't done before and the first day of the hackathon (Friday 11th September) should be the first day you start developing and coding.
In order to make sure that Ideas are on the right track, we invite each team to start designing at the start of the ideation phase (7th September) and share your high level ideas with the IATA Team during the welcome reception on friday live in person. All teams must submit their ideas for approval in order to be able to be eligible to participate.
Final Project Submission (on Sunday 13th September)
Remember to submit on time the textual pitch and video (more info below) as a backup but to prepare your live presentation that will happen during the judging phase on Sunday 13th September!
1. Textual Pitch on Devpost
You should explain:
- The problem your project solves, including which ONE Record challenge(s) are addressed
- Your solution and what it does
- How did you build it?
- What are you proud of?
- What is next step for your solution and how will you take that step?
- Links to test the solution (e.g., Github, Website, App, adobe) and the code
2. Video Pitch (5 Minutes Max):
Upload a video (5 minutes max) of the working demo of the solution on Youtube as a public video (it can be unlisted if you want) explaining your solution and the problems it solves. The link to the video must be uploaded on Devpost as well.
You are not allowed to start working on your project until the event begins on September 11, 15:00 UTC/17:00 CEST.
All projects must be submitted by Sunday, September 13, 2020, at 13:00 UTC/15:00 CEST.
Judging will take place straight after submission and award ceremony with winner annoucement following starting around 15:00 UTC/17:00 CEST.
Director Software Development, Riege Software
Connectivity Manager, DB Schenker
Founder & CEO, First&Main
Head of Global Sales Performance & Business Intelligence, Lufthansa Cargo
Senior Advisor IT, Air Canada Cargo
Global Airfreight Operations & Compliance Support Manager, DHL Global Forwarding
Chief Technology & Information Officer, PayCargo
Koh Hwee Khim
Vice President IT, CCN Singapore
Originality & Innovation
Is the project bringing value add & unique solution to the market? Is it a solution or creation we have never seen before? Is it a better way of doing current processes?
Technical Merit & Difficulty
Is it technically interesting or difficult to develop? Is the hack usable in its current state? Does everything appear to work as intended? Does it deliver a great experience? Is it mostly bug-free?
Does the project have any feasible application and/or have an impact that goes above and beyond? Will this help the supply chain with a real problem that we are currently facing? Can this be implemented?
Is the presentation clear & well structured? Does the project clearly define the problem? Solution? The features of the product or service? The benefits?
- Machine Learning/AI